Truck accidents are the most catastrophic vehicle crashes that occur on our roads every year. In 2012, over 100,000 people suffered injuries in truck accidents according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). 18-wheelers weigh more than 10,000 pounds and travel at 50 to 60 mph. When a large truck collides with a car or a pedestrian, it often results in serious injuries. So, what causes truck accidents? The Washington, DC truck accident attorneys at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. explains the common causes of truck accidents.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Every truck accident is different, but there are common issues that have been present in truck accidents. Unfortunately, many of the factors that have caused truck accidents could have been prevented.
- Driver Fatigue: According to FMCSA, 13 percent of accidents are caused by driver fatigue. Since truck drivers are paid by the miles and not the hour and they have tight deadlines, they are often forced to drive for long hours. Drowsy driving us just as dangerous as driving under the influence of alcohol.
- An Overloaded Trailer: An overloaded trailer is a serious threat on the road. The increase in weight reduces the amount of control the driver has. It also increases the pressure on the tires and the breaks.
- Inadequate Maintenance of Vehicle Parts: In some cases, truck drivers fail to do routine maintenance. When truck drivers fail to ensure that their vehicles are in good condition, they are putting their lives and the lives of others in danger. Many truck accidents have been caused due to faulty breaks or bad tires.
- Defective Equipment: Defective equipment is also a common cause of truck accidents. Many truck accidents are caused because the truck was manufactured incorrectly.
- Drinking and Driving: Truck accidents have also been caused by drunk driving. It is the trucking company’s responsibility to ensure that their drivers are responsible and will not drink and drive.
- Failure to Follow Traffic Laws: Unsafe lane changing and speeding often cause truck accidents. Truck drivers have a responsibility to follow traffic laws.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, contact our experienced Washington, DC truck accident attorneys today at (202) 659-8600!