The assessment of cognitive and communication problems is an ongoing process that involves a physician not known as a neurologist and his team of individuals who are not physicians who work on the rehabilitative and diagnostic components of recovery. For instance, once a person’s physical condition is stabilized, a speech and language pathologist may evaluate cognitive and communication skills. A neuropsychologist may evaluate other cognitive and behavioral capabilities. An occupational therapist may also assess cognitive skills relating to an individual’s ability to perform activities of daily living. An audiologist may also be employed to assess hearing. The rehabilitative process may last for as long as a year since approximately 90% of the brain’s recovery will take place in the first year after the traumatic brain injury. The remaining 10% will take place in the second year after the injury took place.
One thing is certain, that early and aggressive diagnosis and treatment will improve the likelihood of reaching maximum medical improvement as quickly as possible. Additionally, locating an attorney you can trust that has the knowledge of the function of the brain and the needs of individuals with traumatic brain injury is extremely important. The lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have had literally hundreds of cases involving traumatic brain injury. Accordingly, if you or a loved one have sustained a traumatic brain injury, call the law offices of Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. and ask to speak to partners Ira Sherman or Joseph Cammarata for a free consultation.