By: Joseph Cammarata
MSN News recently reported on a tragic story involving an Ohio teen who died as
a result of caffeine overdose. The 18-year-old high school senior, Logan
Stiner, was just shy of graduation. He had also recently been elected
prom king by his senior class. According to officials, Stiner came home
for lunch on May 27 and ingested caffeine powder, a product which is readily
available over-the-counter at sports nutrition stores or online. The caffeine
powder caused Stiner to experience an irregular heartbeat and seizures.
His brother found him dead shortly after.
The County coroner confirmed that Stiner's death was caused by caffeine
overdose, which is a problem experienced by numerous Americans, especially
among teens and young adults who drink high-caffeine energy drinks. The
coroner also stated that a
1/16 teaspoon of caffeine powder is equivalent to one can of Mountain Dew
or a high-power energy drink. They did not confirm how much powder Stiner took.
The Dangers of Caffeine & Energy Drinks
Energy drinks and other caffeine products – including caffeine pills
and powders, chewing gum, and mints – have become incredibly popular.
Today, these products are available nearly everywhere and are marketed
heavily, especially toward youth. Although they are widely used, they
present a number of dangers and have been associated with adverse health
effects, including several deaths.
Energy drinks, which have received the most attention, contain large doses
of caffeine and other legal stimulants such and ginseng and guarana. The
dangers high-caffeine drinks and products pose are very real, especially
to younger people and to people with existing heart conditions. Since
the FDA minimally regulates these products, they do not disclose risks
and potential side effects to consumers, the most serious of which include:
- High blood pressure
- Heart attacks
In response to many reports of injuries and deaths linked to energy drinks
and caffeine products, advocates are pushing for tighter regulations and
are addressing problems with marketing toward minors. Lawmakers have already
been successful in removing caffeine from pre-mixed alcoholic beverages
like Four Loko and Joose.
Victims Harmed by Energy Drinks
I am the co-chair of the Energy Drinks Litigation Group of the American
Association for Justice (AAJ), which is devoted to working and coordinating
with lawyers involved in cases relating to injuries and death caused by
energy drink consumption. Because energy drinks are minimally regulated
and so heavily marketed, consumers are often unaware about the serious
risks they pose. If you or a loved one suffer preventable harm, please
call the personal injury lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata &